X You may need to Reload the page to make it work correctly.
Montgomery County, PA Community Action Development Commission

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

This is a Crisis Service
  • Program Status: Open

Providing Nutrition Assistance

This is the most important program for fighting hunger in the United States.  It used to be called the Food Stamp program, but the name has now changed to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.  This change is to promote the nutrition benefits and reflects that it is now easier than ever to apply.   CADCOM has contracted with the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services to provide SNAP information services and enroll people for SNAP benefits.  CADCOM staff travel throughout the county helping eligible people receive SNAP, but we can also enroll you over the phone.  Depending on how many are in your family a phone enrollment will take 20-45 minutes.


Eligibility is 160% of poverty for most indiduals and families.  However, if your household includes someone who is disabled, or 60 years of age, the eligibility level increases to 200%.  Check our eligibility table to find your allowable income based on household size. 

If you are a little bit over, don't be discouraged.  You may have circumstances such as medical bills that will make you eligible.

If you have been denied in the past, you may be eligible now due to rule changes since 2009.

Please note: Only U.S. citizens can receive SNAP or legal residents who have been here for 5 years or more.   If you are not a citizen, but your children are citizens, you may apply for the children.

Please click here for the civil rights statement



Income Guidelines

Income of 160% of the Federal Poverty Income Level, based on your current gross income.  For  households with a person either 60 years of age and over, or receiving disability assistance, the income amount is up to 200% of the Federal Poverty Income Level

For Montgomery County please note that, beginning January 1, 2016 If you are an Able Bodied Adult Without Dependents—“ABAWD”—you can only get SNAP benefits for 3 months between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2017.

Who is an ABAWD?
1. Age 18 - 49
2. Does not live with children
3. Is able to work
4. Is working less than 20 hours/week
You may continue with SNAP if you:
· Are 50 or older
· Are under 18
· Have children
· Live with children
· Are in school or taking classes at least part time
· Are pregnant
· Are applying for or getting  Unemployment
· Are in a drug and alcohol treatment program
· Care for a disabled family member
· Are not able to work
How can I keep my SNAP?
1. Work 20+ hours/week
2. Do job training 20+ hours/week
3. Volunteer 26 hours/month


CADCOM can assist you with job training and placement, and also with finding volunteer opportunities.











No charge

What Does the Program Provide?

The SNAP Outreach Coordinator can assist with: enrollment in the SNAP Program, pre-screening to determine eligibility, conflict resolution with the County Assistance Office, and information on your rights.

We also provide training for organizations who wish to offer these services to their clients.

Please note: although CADCOM can help you with an application, only the local County Assistance Offices can approve and distribute SNAP benefits.

Program Background and Details

CADCOM is always looking for individuals interested in volunteering as an authorized representative for a SNAP applicant. An authorized representative speaks and acts on behalf of applicant by doing such things as receiving applicants mail from the County Assistance Office, setting up appointments with County Assistance Office and attending the appointment with the applicant. Many individuals do not receive SNAP benefits simply because they have trouble with the application process. Your help is needed; all it takes is about an hour a week.